What We Have: A Zoom Play On Intimacy
“What We Have,” written and directed by Wren Ramos, is a play about the troubles and triumphs that surfaced as we rediscovered love, intimacy, and connection despite the loss of physical closeness. The need for others, the need to be seen, and the need to be loved drives the characters forward as Zoom becomes less of a platform than simply an extension of ourselves during the era of COVID-19 and social distancing.
Ramos is a communication and theater double major from Trinity’s class of 2022. Over the summer, he was responsible for directing the play entitled, What We Have, which he also wrote. The play won the Trinity playwriting competition hosted by Dr. Danny Anderson last spring semester, and it showcases how human connection is kept alive even over Zoom.
The performance is free of charge, but donations are welcome. Donated funds from the show will go to benefit two charities: the San Antonio Community Relief Fund and the Emergent Fund. The San Antonio Community Relief Fund supports locals impacted by the pandemic either through job loss or supply shortages, and the Emergent Fund focuses support for immigrants, women, Muslim and Arab-American communities, Black people, Indigenous communities, LGBTQ communities, and all people of color.
The performance will be followed by Q&A with select cast and crew:
- The Writer and Director - Wren Ramos
- Wren Ramos is a junior pursuing a degree in theatre and communication with a minor in entrepreneurship. He has worked extensively around the Trinity campus, participating in Student Involvement, the Student Programming Board (SPB), and the Department of Human Communication and Theatre's costume studio. Ramos wrote and directed this show to give a voice to the frustrations that many other young adults face due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ramos thanks the Human Communication and Theatre Department, SPB, and the officers and actors of the Trinity University Players (TUPS) who through their hard work, and were able to help this show come to fruition. “I extend a special thanks to Taylor Condron for being the driving force behind this show from editing, stage managing, and just keeping me inspired every day!”
- Stage Manager - Taylor Condron
- Taylor Condron is a junior at Trinity and a biology major with a women’s and gender studies minor. On top of being a teacher’s assistant for the biology and chemistry departments, she is also an officer for Swing Bums and a member of TUPS. Her motivation for doing “What We Have” stemmed from wanting to show and experiment with theater, and help others connect through Zoom.
- Andrew Walker (Andy)
- Andrew Walker is a sophomore majoring in sociology and political science at Trinity. Aside from being a residential assistant on campus, he is an active member of TUPS and the theater community. This show captures the essence of maintaining friendships in these months of lock down, and it has been a privilege to participate in its creation. “A special thank you to Wren (Ramos) and Taylor (Condron) for their incredible work and making this all possible!”
Friday, September 25 at 7:00pm